This picture shows the unveiling of the War Memorial on Wednesday 7th May 1924 by Admiral Sir Richard Phillimore (right). The Bishop of Plymouth, the Right Reverend Canon Masterman, dedicated the Memorial.
The Memorial was restored by the Civic Association in October 2011. It continues to be a focal point of the local community, especially in November.
WW1: Lt Col H.C. Buller, DSO
Commanding Officer Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry – 21 March 1915 – 4 May 1915 and 7 December 1915 – 2 June 1916.
Herbert Cecil Buller was born Plympton St Maurice in 1881, the son of a British Admiral. He joined the Rifle Brigade in 1900 and was promoted Captain in 1910. In August 1914, he was one of three British regular officers appointed to the Regiment from the personal staff of the Governor General (The Duke of Conaught). He was initially appointed Adjutant to oversee the critical process of recruiting and selecting the original battalion.
Following the death of Colonel Farquhar at St. Eloi, Buller assumed command of the regiment. He commanded during the opening phase of the Second Battle of Ypres until he was wounded on May 4th, 1915. Despite the loss of one eye, he returned to duty before the end of the year and commanded the regiment through the first half of 1916. He was killed during the Battle of Mount Sorrel on June 2nd while leading his men in action. Herbert Buller was awarded the Distinguished Service Order for his action during the Second Battle of Ypres and was twice mentioned in despatches.
Lieutenant Colonel H.C.Buller, DSO is buried at Voormezeele Enclosure No. 3, 4 km southwest of Ieper (Ypres), West Flanders, Belgium. Grave Reference: III.A.7.