top of page
In Church Road there are some early eighteeth century houses. It was to the London Inn, in 1817, that a certain Lieutenant William Hindes, wounded after fighting a duel at St. Mary's Bridge with a fellow officer, was brought to die. Some gardens near the Church had been given to enlarge the Churchyard that year and Lieutenant Hindes was one of the earliest to be buried there. The Church Hall is on the north side of the road. This modern building was opened in 1967 on the site of the former hall, but at the end of the 19th century the local forge was there.
bottom of page